Translation of category

Help, problems, suggestions about Waterski Scoring software
villep

Translation of category

Post by villep »

Is it possible to translate the name of the categories in the 2006 version?
In previus version I have been able to do the changes in the file Translation.eng but now I cant get it to work.
Am I doing something wrong or should I do the translation in some other file?

Best regards
Vilhelm Persson
emmanuel
Site Admin

Re: Translation of category

Post by emmanuel »

villep wrote:Is it possible to translate the name of the categories in the 2006 version?
In previus version I have been able to do the changes in the file Translation.eng but now I cant get it to work.
Am I doing something wrong or should I do the translation in some other file?

Best regards
Vilhelm Persson
Hello Vilhelm,

What is possible, last year ?
Then, working on it, I might have disabled it....

Translation of everything which get printed is planned.
A part of it has already been programmed...
But, it is not finished, ... lack of time.

Regards, Emmanuel
villep

Post by villep »

Hi
I am trying to localizing the categories (and other texts) this year to but I am not able to get it to work.
Is the file Translation.eng still used?

Is it possible to localize the data by for example changing the file Categs.DB?
If so, do you know of any good program (preferably free) that can edit the data?

I can do some localization by changing the text when setting up listings, but the result is not saved when the listing is saved so I need to re enter it for each printing. Is it possible to have the listing saving to also save the changed texts? (or is this the wrong way to go, I guess it can be quite messy if one make some mistakes)

Best regards
Vilhelm Persson
emmanuel
Site Admin

Post by emmanuel »

villep wrote:Hi
I am trying to localizing the categories (and other texts) this year to but I am not able to get it to work.
Is the file Translation.eng still used?
I have to work on localization to make it work for everything...
A lot of work.
villep wrote: Is it possible to localize the data by for example changing the file Categs.DB?
If so, do you know of any good program (preferably free) that can edit the data?
You can edit Categs.db by starting Waterski Scoring with /admin parameter.

Emmanuel
villep

Post by villep »

Hi
Thanks for the help.
It worked and will make it easier when out on competitions and want to change the categories names.
I also found a “Paradox Data Editor 2.0” that is a freeware that was able to change the file.
One of the files that can be edit with the /admin option is the DISCIPS file that contains the name of the events. But, this option doesn’t work since the file point to your local copy E:\Delphi\... It is no problem for me (since I found Paradox edit) but I just wanted to inform you.

About the localization. I think that it is good enough to have the output on paper localized. The possibilities in the Translation.eng are exactly what are needed to be localized.

The rest of the localization for printing can be done in the PrintForms.def (even if it require that each country update the PrintForms.def after each version, but that should not be a big problem since I guess the changes are not that big)

I see no need to make the program itself localized (menus and so on). Does that makes the “A lot of work” easier?

Thanks for a good program
Vilhelm
emmanuel
Site Admin

Post by emmanuel »

Hello Vilhelm,
villep wrote:Hi
Thanks for the help.
It worked and will make it easier when out on competitions and want to change the categories names.
I also found a “Paradox Data Editor 2.0” that is a freeware that was able to change the file.
One of the files that can be edit with the /admin option is the DISCIPS file that contains the name of the events. But, this option doesn’t work since the file point to your local copy E:\Delphi\... It is no problem for me (since I found Paradox edit) but I just wanted to inform you.
Ok. A small administration bug. I will change it.
Take care using direct editiong of data: some tables have relational links and should stay that way.
villep wrote:About the localization. I think that it is good enough to have the output on paper localized. The possibilities in the Translation.eng are exactly what are needed to be localized.
This is what is planned: translation (localizetion) of printout. But this already some works...
villep wrote:The rest of the localization for printing can be done in the PrintForms.def (even if it require that each country update the PrintForms.def after each version, but that should not be a big problem since I guess the changes are not that big)
Once it will be done, PrintForms should not be edited: it will use automatically words from translation.eng.

Regards,

Emmanuel
villep

Post by villep »

Hi
Just a reminder if you are preparing features for next version.
Translations of the printed data would be a nice feature.
Thanks for a good program.
/Vilhelm
emmanuel
Site Admin

Post by emmanuel »

villep wrote:Translations of the printed data would be a nice feature.
Hello Vilhelm,

It is on my todo list... since a few years already...
but it might be done for 2009...

Emmanuel